Neck undergoes lot of changes with age. The factors that aggravate aging process in the neck include:
- Fluctuation in the weight
- Inadequate water intake (as in some athletes)
- Excessive sun exposure
- Inadequate moisturizers and sun protection
There are four areas of concern in the neck:
- Skin laxity and wrinkling
- Muscle laxity
- Fat pockets
- Texture of skin with freckles, fine wrinkles, pigmentation
Procedures for neck rejuvenation include:
- Laser Lipo neck This is performed under local anesthesia and the fat pockets under the chin, jowls area and jawline areas are liquefied and removed. Postoperatively chin support garment is worn for 5-6 days continuously and at least 2 weeks when at home. Postoperatively using technologies such as LPG, powershape etc can help to contour the neck.
- CO2 laser resurfacing Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing is a procedure performed under topical anesthesia. It helps to reduce the freckles, pigmentation and improve some fine lines.
- Silhouette thread lift This is performed under local anesthesia. A small incision is made in the hair line. A specialized thread is passed under the skin from the scalp area to the side of the mouth. Multiple threads are used in different directions to catch the excess skin. The threads are then pulled up carrying the excess skin and it is tied in the scalp area. This gives an immediate lift in the mid face, jowl and neck areas. There is minimum downtime in most patients. The results last for few years in some patient. It has risk of thread disruption and a need to repeat the procedure.
- Neck lift This is a surgical procedure either perfumed indoor general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation (twilight sedation). It is either performed as part of the face lift or only as neck lift. It can be modified depending upon the condition and patient expectation.
In short scar neck lift procedure the incisions are made only around the ears. Whereas in a more conventional technique the incision extends in the scalp area behind the ears. The procedure involves tightening of platysma muscle, removal of excess skin and tightening of the skin.The sutures are under the skin and hidden in the sulcus of the ear and hair line. Sometimes another incision is made under the chin to perform platysmoplasty that is tightening of the neck bands nude the skin. Postoperatively pressure garment is required for 10 days followed by intermittent support while At home.