Although the concept is simple, the liposuction experience, recovery and results are all about technique and technology.
Traditional liposuction involved the mechanical disruption of fat cells, in which the surgeon would shear and extract the fat cells with the aid of a high-power vacuum. Today’s advanced treatments, Smart Lipo and Vaser Lipo, are non-invasive. They liquefy or emulsify the fat and then extract it gently through cannulae (imagine the reverse of an IV drip) using low-power suction. This makes liposuction easier on the body and reduces recuperation time.
Smart Lipo is a laser procedure that uses an optic fibre cable to melt fat cells and draw them out, causing no damage to surrounding areas. It offers the additional advantage of tightening skin around treated areas, eliminating the problem of loose, saggy skin that liposuction traditionally left behind.
Vaser Lipo operates on a similar principle, but with a key difference. VASER, short for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance, uses the latest ultrasound technology. The target area is infused with a saline solution and then stimulated with vaser electronic probes that break apart and liquefy the fat cells to be suctioned out gently.
Laser or Vaser? It depends on your liposuction goals. Vaser is usually the technique of choice for treating larger areas of fat. Being more precise than laser, it does the job without affecting skin, nerves, and blood vessels in surrounding areas. This also helps minimise blood loss during the process. However, only laser-based Smart Lipo offers the added benefit of skin tightening.
what areas of the body can liposuction treat?
Like with every plastic surgery procedure, Liposuction offers distinct approaches to treating various body parts. Classified as big and small body parts, each has its own set of techniques and protocols. Procedure durations and the number of sessions vary too.
- abdomen and waist: Liposuction can be a highly effective treatment to flatten the abdomen and narrow the waist.
- cheeks, chin and neck: The earliest signs of jowls can make you look prematurely aged, as can the fatty deposits that cause a double chin. Slimming the jawline, under the chin and through the upper neck, with liposuction can help you appear thinner and can also take years off your appearance.
- thighs and knees: Liposuction can help with the inner and outer thighs right down to the area around the knees.
- back: Often, a pocket of fat could appear just above the butt. Known as a sacral fat pad, it could be caused by a number of factors – from a sedentary lifestyle to poor sleep, hormonal imbalances or excessive carb and sugar in the diet. While lifestyle corrections are crucial for overall physical and mental wellbeing, liposuction can be a great support with targeted reduction of back fat.
- bra line: Over time, with routine movements, skin begins to extend and increase in surface area, particularly at the bra line and tapering towards the tip of the shoulder blade. This could create rolls that detract from the look you would like to wear. Liposuction can selectively address these areas and help streamline your back.
- upper arms: Liposuction can reduce excess fat on the upper arms, making them appear slimmer and more proportionate to the rest of you.
- hips and buttocks: Liposuction targets excess fat from the flanks to restore the silhouette to the way it used to be. It can also help bring a certain voluptuousness to the butt.
what does a great liposuction outcome look like?
Liposuction done right, achieves the results you seek, with precision. In the right hands, it does a great job of targeting fat underneath the skin, between the skin and the muscle in the abdominal area for a flatter tummy, fat that alters the waistline, fat that has settled in the back area to form rolls. The goal is to achieve a certain quality of skin movement that will lend the body a good contour and silhouette. At Cocoona we understand that when you take charge of the way you look and feel, nothing should stop you or slow you down.
Better. Faster. Safer. That’s what it’s all about. Founded by Dr. Sanjay Parashar, the renowned celebrity plastic surgeon, Cocoona brings together world-class infrastructure, the latest technology and the highest level of aesthetic skill.
No two individuals are alike. And no one understands that better than a Cocoona surgeon with that unique blend of scientific and artistic capabilities. We work closely with our customers throughout their beauty journey to craft personalised solutions and help them achieve their goals. Our reputation for doing so, time after time, is what sets us apart.
No matter how busy our surgeons may be, they are never in a hurry when it comes to your consultation. They will take the time to understand what you’re looking for, advise you on what you can expect from the procedure and help you focus on the crucial choices you need to make. We follow strict guidelines to determine if you are a suitable candidate for surgery and encourage you to set realistic goals your body can comfortably handle.
The rigour and precision of our protocols determine everything we do and how we go about it. There’s a certain Cocoona approach, developed and fine-tuned over two decades by Dr Parashar and followed by every surgeon, which ensures the highest safety standards and helps achieve an industry-leading satisfaction rate of 99.2% .
Our multinational team of surgeons has collective expertise built through extensive work in the Middle East, India and Africa, Argentina and South Korea. They apply the latest breakthrough techniques, developed anywhere in the world, to deliver the best possible results Cocoona surgeons bring a certain finesse to everything they do, and you can be confident of getting the best.
The skills and experience of our surgical superspecialists is assurance enough. Even so, we offer a unique Patient Safety Guarantee – much like an insurance cover – up to a limit of AED 50,000 which covers postoperative complications if any.
preparing for your liposuction procedure
Precare is quite straightforward. Liposuction usually takes about 2-3 hours, depending on whether it’s a small or large body part. You should be able to go home the same day.
In rare cases, an overnight stay may be recommended by the attending doctor. So before coming in for your Liposuction session, plan accordingly.
Here are some of the important steps that you must take before the procedure:
- Discuss all medication and vitamins that you use regularly
- If you are a smoker, try and stop smoking at least 2 weeks before surgery
- If the surgeon has informed you that you will receive general anaesthesia, make sure you do not eat or drink at least 6-8 hours prior to the procedure
- Arrange for someone to drive you to/from surgery
- Plan to take 3–4 days off from work or activity around the house after the procedure, so you recover better
Your surgeon and patient counsellor will walk you through what you need to do, so you are completely at ease and ready to go!
recovering from your liposuction procedure
Follow these postcare tips to bounce back faster and recover better.
- You should be able to walk about shortly after your surgery, once the anaesthesia has worn off
- The day after surgery, there will be mild pain, easily controlled with a pain management plan which may include walking and medication
- You may also be prescribed antibiotics to control infection risks
- Most patients can resume normal work after 3-4 days with minimum discomfort
- Don’t worry if you see liquid emerging from incision areas up to a few days after surgery. This is normal and considered to be good for recovery and healing.
- Depending on the area treated, the swelling may take up to a few months to fully subside and for the new look to set in
- The elasticity of your skin, which depends on your age and genetics, will also play a part in your overall recovery